Monday, September 29, 2008

Green Tomato Relish

It is the end of tomato season in our garden. As we pulled up the vines, we collected all the green tomatoes. This recipe is a great way to use those tomatoes. Serve as a condiment with peas, butter beans and greens.

Green Tomato Relish
5 pounds green tomatoes
1 pound red bell peppers
1 pound onions
2 jalopeno peppers, seeded
4 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon celery seeds
1/4 cup Kosher salt

Coarsely chop the vegetables in a food processor. Combine all the ingredients in a dutch oven and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars. Wipe jar rims with a damp towel. Adjust prepared lids and rings. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

3 comments:

  1. I'm getting a complex! I feel like I'm friends with Betty Freaking Crocker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not Betty Crocker, Susie Homemaker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Coggin - I love your blog! My Mom forwarded your nephew's Mexico wedding pictures (btw, they were gorgeous!), and I saw on the bottom of your email that you, too, have a blog. I thought I'd hop over and check it out! You're so creative and I've enjoyed reading this - and now am craving that chocolate cake! I hope retirement is going well - I know the 4th grade misses you! Take care!

    Mandy (Justice) Noble

    ReplyDelete