Friday, September 5, 2008

Making Fresh Pasta - Part 2

I love my pasta maker! Follow along and I'll give step-by-step directions on the process. Begin with 2 cups of all purpose flour on a large wooden cutting board. Create a well in the middle of the flour and add 2 eggs. Using a fork, break the eggs and begin working the flour into the eggs.


Continue to add the flour until the dough comes together and you can knead it.


Begin kneading the dough, adding flour as needed. You want a soft dough that is not sticky. Knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes. This is a very important step! Once the dough has rested, cut it into 4 sections. Shape the dough into a rectangle. Using the largest setting on the pasta maker, roll the dough through the maker 3 times. Reduce the setting one notch at a time and roll the dough. Since I wanted thin fettucine, I used the smallest setting before cutting the fettucine. Half of the dough is enough for 2 servings. I like to lightly dust the cut pasta with flour to keep it from sticking together. Cook in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. It is that easy! I saved the remaining dough in an airtight container for tomorrow. I'm planning to add chopped fresh basil to the dough and use with a tomato sauce. I'll let you know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment