Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Recipe for Healthy Tomato Plants

It seems like everywhere we go these days, our friends are asking Kenny to share his "recipe" for growing tomatoes. The recipe came from Henry, a well-known tomato grower in Newnan, written on a scrap of paper that Kenny stores in a sack of lime. As you can see, it looks like it is wrtiten in a secret code. To help you break the code, here are a few hints. SHF is "small handful" and TLS os "tablespoon." Since my small handful is not the same as Kenny's I needed a better measurement. So here iit is:

Recipe for Healthy Tomato Plants

1/2 cup bonemeal
1 tablespoon Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)
1/2 cup cottonseed meal
1 cup pelletized lime
1/3 cup 10-10-10 fertilizer

Mic all ingefients together. Dig a large whole for the plant and put a handful in the bottom of the hole. Cover with 1 inch of soil. Position the tomato plant in the hole and cover with soil, making a slight berm around the plant.

Our tomato plants thrive and provide us with an abundance of fruit, or should I say vegetable? Below is a picture of the first tomato of the season, planted 10 days ago.

5 comments:

  1. And where the heck do you buy that stuff? Will my 5-5-5 work just as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. doggybloggy - hopefully we will have a lot of success with our 74 tomato plants.
    DrW - stop by for some of the magic recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like we have been paired for the T & C this month. I have my dish chosen and I am raring to go. Hope you enjoy browsing my blog as much as I have yours:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bellini Valli - I love your blog and can't wait to taste some of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete