Thursday, October 30, 2008

David

After checking into our apartment at Ciompi Palace, it's time to check out David at the Accademia. We followed the suggestions in every travel guide and made reservations in advance. There was no line and the gallery was not crowded. The first room you enter is a large gallery of paintings. The paintings are not considered by many to be great, but I loved them. Their enormity, detail and age make them a must see for me. I am constantly amazed that these massive paintings have survived for 500 years or more. As I look at the paintings my thoughts focus on the size of the wooden background on which they are painted and wonder where they were painted and how.

The next area we enter is a long hallway with Michelangelo's Prisoners. These unfinished sculptures show in detail how Michelangelo created his statues, working from front to back, pulling the characters from the stone. Starring at the figures, I can almost see the artist at work.

At the end of the hall is a domed area with David as the centerpiece. The scupture is massive. Even though I have seen pictures of the statue, I am blown away by the enormity and attention to detail. Michelangelo was commissioned in 1501 at the age of 26 to carve a large-scale work for the Duomo. Many consider this Michelangelo's greatest scupture, but for me, it is second to the Pieta at St. Peter's.

The label below the statue indicates that David has already slain the giant, but I tend to agree with the current curator that David is preparing for the battle with the stone in his powerful right hand. The right hand is huge and extremely detailed.

This was definitely a great way to start our stay in the beautiful town of Florence!

2 comments:

  1. We are doing more eating than drinking! The "loose" wine is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete